Time Capsule aka Its Bigger than Hip-Hop

Life through the lenses of our culture... Its Bigger Than Hip-Hop seeks to establish Hip-Hop’s legitimate/rightful position in the canon of Black music. Taking an anthropological approach, the project aims to view social and political phenomena through a modern scope allowing children of the Hip-Hop generation to place the music in its proper historical context. In a time of digital replication, the foundation of Hip-Hop music is the sample... Yet the knowledgeable still hold fast to the original records. Its Bigger Than Hip-Hop is essentially cultural "crate-digging". Enjoy the Experience

"US ship, choppers, shadow hostage captain, pirates".

This is the headline to today's Huffington Post top article...

Excuse me but what the fuck does that mean? Is it even english? I'm not meaning to tear down the publication in any way, I'm just using this as an example. To be honest, I actually don't read the Huffington Post unless I get a link to one of their articles, but I know people who swear by it.

But I digress.

What has happened to our language? We get smaller and smaller sound bytes and sentence fragments that are supposed to resemble a language in a computer age. There is a scene in the book 1984 where the characters are discussing a fictional language called newspeak. It is described as the only language in the world whose vocabulary is decreased every year.

I see examples of this kind of thing everywhere. There is a line in Kanye West's lead single off the Graduation album, "Can't Tell Me Nothing" has a line that goes,

don't ever fix yo lips like collagen/ to say something where you gon' end up apolloging.

What?! Apolloging?! That shit is unnacceptable. We can't fall for the okey-doke folks. Don't believe the hype! Reading IS Fundamental.

Wait til I get my money right...







0 comments

Post a Comment